Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: Bat Choker + Coffin Giftbox DIY

I believe this shall be the second installment in what I hope becomes a Halloween tradition for years to come, a creepy jewelry tutorial! Last year I made this bloody-ax tutorial when I was inspired by a charm I found at Hobby Lobby. This year my palace of inspiration was Joanne's, where they had both that adorable bat pendent and that coffin box. The tutorial pretty much wrote itself after that.

This necklace could be a great costume accessory or is great for everyday wear in my opinion, and if you have a friend who happens to have a penchant for the unusual, you can package them a handmade necklace in this spooky gift box! Find out how to make both of those items below.

I broke it down into two quick tutorials, the necklace and the box. Let's start off with the necklace:

Supplies:

  1. Bat Charm, buy or make
  2. Ribbon
  3. Ribbon-ends (2)
  4. Jump-rings (2)
  5. Bracelet Closure
  6. Jewelry Pliers (Not Pictured)
  7. Scissors
  8. E6000 
Step 1: Cut a length of ribbon, make sure it's longer than you think you'll need, you can trim it down in a few steps.


Step 2: Slide your charm onto the length of ribbon,


Step 3: Apply a small dot of E6000 to the inside of your ribbon-end and let dry, then close down the sides of the end. Try on the necklace and check the fit, trim any unwanted ribbon from the other side. then apply ribbon-end.



Step 4: Attach a jump ring to the end of each ribbon-end and connect the closure as well.

Now onto the spooky gift-box:

Supplies:

  1. Wooden Coffin Box
  2. Acrylic Paint (Brown, Black, or Grey)
  3. Glossy Mod Podge
  4. Foam Brush
  5. Small bit of Red Satin
  6. Glue Gun
  7. Scissors
Step 1: Paint your box and wait for it to dry between coats.




Step 2: Give your box a few coats of mod podge.

Step 3: Cut two pieces of satin, one slightly bigger than the coffin, one the same size. You can place the box on top to help you cut.

Step 4: Apply a line of glue around the edge of the inside of the top of your box and apply the coffin-sized bit of satin as you go. Do the same with the larger one for the bottom.

 Your box is now ready to hold your choker! I'm probably going to keep mine, but I still like the coffin just to keep it in. It makes it feel fancy.


Whats your favorite Halloween monster? Mine is a toss up between Vampires and Witches, I'm also super not into the Zombie trend.

Til Next Time!

1 comment:

  1. Both these projects are so cool! I wouldn't be able to resist if I saw those wooden coffins in my local craft store! ^___^

    ReplyDelete