Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: Majora's Mask Clock


I love video games, which I've mentioned on the blog before once or twice.  Video games are very inspiring to me because I'm a gigantic fan-girl. The particular clock is from a video game I have not gotten very far in, but have watched many people play and will one day conquer myself. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.


 One of the starting roles in this game is a giant evil moon that is slowly/quickly plummeting to the surface of Termina. You have 3 easily manipulated days to stop it, therefore time is of the essence and to represent that there is an iconic clock tower. I have wanted to make a clock from it's face for a long time. Read about the results below!




Supplies: 

  1. Wooden Plate (I got mine from Hobby Lobby) 12 in. Diameter
  2. Wood Burning Tool
  3. Acrylic Paint
  4. Clock Kit
    Not Pictured:
  5. Paintbrush
  6. Pencil 
  7. Computer Paper
  8. Glue
  9. Scissors
  10. Printer

Tools:

  1. Drill
  2. 3/8ths in. Wood-Drill Bit (should look like mine above)
  3. Clamps

Step 1: Save the image below to your desk top. You will need to scale it to fit the size of your clock face. Print it out(it will probably print out in half) and glue the two pieces of paper together. I also printed mine out in black and white with the fast draft setting on.
Image source unknown, but the best vector image I could find so I used it.


Step 2: Grab your pencil to make a "carbon copy"-er.

Scribble madly, I mean apply a thick layer of graphite to the back of the picture.

Step 3: Tape the printed clock on top of the plate. Begin tracing over the details in the clock like I'm doing with this O shape.

Tada! Who needs to spend money on carbon tracing paper? Not this chick.

Its not a perfect system, as you can see in the bottom right corner where some extra graphite has rubbed off onto the plate.  That's alright though! We'll erase all the leftover graphite after the next step.

Step 5: Now use your wood burning tool to define all the lines that you just copied over. If you are new at wood burning like I was I would offer these tips.
  • Slow and steady wins the race. It may take you a few tries to get the hang of it, but as long as you go slowly you won't drastically messy your tracing up.
  • Wait for the tool to reach full temperature. I was impatient a few times and just had to go right back over it.

Even if this part took a while, I had a lot of fun doing it. I also like the smell of slightly burning ceder, or whatever this wood it.

Step 6: Drill a hole in the exact center of the clock, which happens to be the inside of the blue O shape in the center of the clock.

Step 7: Now that everything is prepped, you can begin painting your clock. I tried to follow the original color scheme as best I could, but it varies slightly.


Step 8: These clock kits are super easy. The order goes; clock mechanism, clock, washer, nut, hour hand, minute hand, washer, second hand(optional)

It was very easy to assemble.When you've set the clock hands and inserted a battery, you're all done!

Step 9: Hang your beautiful clock in a place where you really need to know the time, because it deserves to be gazed upon and adored.

As you can see, there are a bunch of imperfections because this was my first ever wood-burning project. I still love how it came out regardless.

Til Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. No way, this is so amazing! You've outdone yourself, RaChil!
    I miss video games; I used to play all the time when my brother had his Xbox and Playstation and everything but he sold all of those and only does computer games now! The console ones are the best, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just managed to delete my own comment in full. WHateves. THe gist was as follows: OMG THRILLED to see something as awesome as this!! I'm a HUGE geek and I grew up on the LOZ games, and Majora's Mask was one of my faves. This project is GREAT and I'm kinda wanting to try it for myself now! Thank you for the guide and using the ICONIC clock tower for the base, this is just TOO COOL. Nerd on friend, nerd on. ^___^

    ReplyDelete