Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: Binder Pencil Pouch

This week I had a goal. Finally get my blog/shop/business planning all in order. To do this I needed to give my blog binder a complete makeover. I started off by making this handy pencil pouch that can fit any three ring binder and I shared the tutorial with you guys below!


I use a little mini binder I got from staples for all of my Cwafty planning needs. This means I pretty much have to buy the expensive accessories, or make my own. The binder was expensive enough, $7, but its good quality so I was willing to make the investment. Also I love to personalize my supplies, so its a win-win; quality and customatiz-ability.

Supplies:

  1. Binder
  2. Ruler
  3. Zipper
  4. 1 ft. fabric of your choice
  5. Matching Thread
  6. Eyelets (and a tool to set them, not pictured)
  7. Scissors
  8. Pins
  9. Dissapearing Ink Marker (Optional)
    Not Pictured:
  10. Paper
  11. Pencil
  12. Sewing Machine
  13. Iron

Step 1: Measure the length and height of the binder your pencil pouch is for.

Using those measurements make a paper pattern and add a 1/4 in. seam allowance to all sides but one of the longer sides. My zipper is a little smaller then my binder, but we're going to account for that later.

 Step 2:  Place your paper pattern with one of the longest sides on the fold. Trace around with a disappearing marker.

Pin it.

Cut it out. You should a have a piece double the size of your pattern piece.




Step 3: Now we're gonna focus on the zipper for a little bit.
Cut out two rectangles for zipper ends. I made mine 2 in. by 3 in.My zipper is 7 in. and my pouch is going to be 8 inches, so my zipper ends will make the zipper reach the end of the fabric.

Using your iron, fold and press each rectangle in half, and then in half again. Cut the tail ends of the zipper down so they fit in the zipper end. Insert the zipper into the folded zipper end, pin.

Step 4: Using a 1/8th in. inseam sew the zipper ends onto the zipper.
Unzip the zipper a little, I pined the zipper end right above the zipper stop.

Finished zipper.
Step 5: Line the edge of the zipper up with the edge of your pencil bag, with the zipper face down, the zipper ends may extend over the edge of the bag fabric. You can go ahead and trim those down.

 Switch to your zipper foot and line the edge of your zipper foot up with the edge of the zipper and fabric.

Sew down the length bag. You will need to stop before you reach the other end, keep the needle in the fabric, lift up the presser foot, and unzip the zipper all the way down, so it doesn't mess up your sewing.

Repeat step 3 on the other side of the pouch with the other side of the zipper.

Step 6: Now you should have an inside out tube, and should see the back of the zipper facing you. Fold the tube flat so the edge of the zipper reaches the edge of your pouch. Make sure the whole pouch lies flat and even and pin around the open edges. Unzip the zipper a few inches.

Sew along the top and bottom of the pouch with a 1/4th in. inseam.

Step 7: You should be able to turn your pouch inside out and have a pouch now.


Step 8:  You can either use a sheet of paper from the binder with holes punched in it or just measure the placement yourself and mark it out.


Cut a small hole to poke your eyelet through

Make sure eyelet fits snugly, always start smaller. if its too big, it may not be fixable.

Using whatever tool you have, set your eyelet. Do this for all 3.


All done!

It fits everything I need for on the go blog planning, a few pens, a pencil, an eraser, scissors, and a hole punch.




I am so glad I finally found a use for this great fabric! I am definitely going to make more of these for my big binders when I head back to school. I may even line them....hmmmm the possibilities!

I also have some fun printables to help you (and me!) get more organized coming on Thursday. Until then I am going to be planning up a storm and getting a place for everything and everything in its place!

Til Next Time!





P.S. I linked here:
Dream a Little Bigger

Persia Lou

Whip It Up Wednesday Handmade Linky Party

6 comments:

  1. You can never have enough of these!

    http://ioniunandthethreebiscuits.blogspot.com/2014/03/whip-it-up-wednesday-knitting-socks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! When I first learned how to install zippers I went a little zipper bag crazy.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's such a great idea! It's good to have everything you need in one place.
    And that fabric is so awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes working so much easier, especially when I try to get stuff done on-the-go. And thank you, I've had it sitting in my stash for a year waiting for a great project for it.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I love this idea, too. Thanks so much for sharing at this week's Whip it Up Wednesday party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for throwing a great party and for the feature pin, I'm glad you like my cute little pouch. :) I'll definitely be back with my next project!

      Delete